Maliba Mountain Lodge
|Click on a photo to enlarge it.|
Guests are accommodated in one of six private and luxurious Basotho-style mountain chalets. Each chalet is over 80m2 in size and is tastefully decorated with natural earthy tones. Warmth and comfort are key elements that have been incorporated into the design of the chalets.
The warm design element has been expressed by under-floor heating, electric blankets, heated towel rails and wall panels which create a comfortable living environment for guests during the cooler winter months.
The highlight of the warm design element is the open fireplace in each chalet that sets the evening mood for a romantic discussion of the day's events.
A deep 2 person bath offers guests breathtaking views as one relaxes and soaks up the tranquil surroundings. A king size extra length bed and mood lighting help to create the final comfort features expected in luxury accommodation.
A private viewing deck, nestled in the trees provides guests with a completely unique way to touch the heart of the Lesotho Mountains, losing oneself in the charm of the peaceful surroundings.
Other accommodation exists within Maliba Lodge’s concession area in the form of four self catering River Lodges. These thatched houses are modern and are situated at the junction of 2 rivers. Each contains 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and are fully self contained and serviced.
Meals will be one of the many highlights during ones stay at Maliba. Open fireplaces fill the restaurant with warmth and character, setting the mood for that perfect evening.
All meals are expertly prepared to a high standard from fresh ingredients by the talented chefs.
The service is professional, catering for your every need while not being obtrusive in any manner.
Meals are either served in the restaurant or on special request meals can be served in the private chalets for intimate and memorable occasions.
A fully stocked bar and wine cellar is available for guests to order whatever they decide compliments the exquisite food.
All Thatched Luxury Mountain Chalets Have The Following Facilities:
- Open fire place
- Private deck nestled in the tree tops
- Bathroom views
- Mood lighting
- Stocked bar fridges
- Tea and coffee facilities
- Electronic personal safes
- Central Fan
- King size beds in four rooms & two ¾ beds in each of the remaining 2 rooms
- Hair dryers
- Covered veranda
- Under floor heating and/or heat panels
- Electric blankets
- Same day laundry facility
- All rooms overlook the indigenous forest and the Maluti mountains
- Spa Bath in all Chalets
- TV a DVD player is available on request by pre booking this with the duty manager. An extensive DVD library is available as well
Inside Main Lodge Area:
The thatched lodge offers a spacious dining area and large open domed lounge, boasting four fire places and several secluded seating areas. The dining area and lounge open onto a covered verandah overlooking the spectacular Maluti Mountains.
There is a private dining and conference area on mezzanine floor above the bar. There is also a full bar service and communal satellite TV
The Outdoor Main Lodge area Boasts:
- Large curved hardwood wooden deck with sun loungers
- Undercover furnished veranda
- Octagonal fire pit deck nestled in the tree tops
- Indigenous high altitude botanical garden (highest in Africa)
- Waterfall & natural rock swimming pool within the grounds
Attractions Nearby / Things to do:
The Activities at Maliba Lodge offer guests a unique opportunity to explore the beauty of the tranquil natural surroundings.
- As Maliba lodge is situated within a private leased area of Tsehlanyane National Park we have on our doorstep several secluded marked mountain bush trails & bridle paths for exploration.
On going exploration continues into remoter parts of the park and further trials will be accessible over time.
- Tsehlanyane National Park is blessed with an abundance of fresh clean water emanating from the pristine un-spoilt mountains. Many rock natural pools exist for swimming, exploring and relaxing by.
- Plant species richness is very high within the park and provisional estimates are that in excess of 220 flowering plant species are present. Best time to view these is from spring to summer
- Of some 24 mammalian species recorded in the Highlands area many are resident (although elusive) within the park.
- Limited surveys undertaken by field staff on birds within the park show a provisional list indicating the presence of some 69 species. Any additions to this list are welcome.
- Guided horse riding is available on local Lesotho ponies, renowned for being firm underfoot even on the rugged slopes of the Lesotho mountainside.
- One of the last remaining old growth indigenous Lesotho woodlands is to be found within the park
- 3km from the lodge are several natural Basotho villages where one can safely wander and explore everyday life. If you prefer to be shown around by an experienced local guide, guided walks can be arranged into this area
- Afriski is situated 2 hours drive from the lodge and is Africa’s highest ski resort (seasonal between June-September). Our reservations team can organize skiing packages to here when in season or just take a day drive and a picnic lunch.
- Liphofung caves and museum is 1 hour drive from Maliba.Originally used by the San and other Stone Age people, the walls contain important rock art and a rich archaeological deposit of Stone Age implements occurs on the floor. Later, King Moshoeshoe “the Great” used the cave as a stopover when visiting that part of the kingdom.
- Katse dam is 3 hour drive away and has the highest dam in Africa
- Bokong Nature Reserve is roughly 2 hours away and is perched on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Lepagoa Valley, the visitor centre has a picnic site and interpretative trail to the top of the Lepaqoa Falls.
- Fossilised dinosaur footprints are found on the banks of the Subeng River very close to Butha Buthe with is ¾ hour away.
- Clarens is situated in South Africa just 1 hours drive from the lodge and is an artists' haven with many well-known artists either living in or frequenting the village on a regular basis with many art galleries scattered around the village square. The tranquil village ambience combined with scenic views and a mild summer climate makes for the ideal for a visit.
Maliba Mountain Lodge can also provide:
- Very special romantic turndowns
- Remote dining
- Gourmet picnic meals
- Local Basotho dancing and singing held on a regular basis
- Guided walks and drives by prior arrangement
- Special meal requests.Specials:
3 nights at Luxury 5 star Mountain lodge
Gourmet meals (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
Complimentary bottle of wine
Private romantic dinner & dessert fondue
3 hours horse ride & picnic lunch
Twin/Double : R1599.00
Single : R2395.00
Third adult : R984.00
Child (6-12 yrs) : R455.00
Child (0-5 yrs) : Free of charge
Rates: per person per night sharing include all meals
(Breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Extra cost of park entrance fee:
R40.00 per adult
R10.00 per child (6-12 yrs) plus @ R10.00 per vehicle.
Cash payment must be made on arrival at park entrance.